No wonder the champion of the football world, Lionel Messi has the most number of hat-tricks in the UEFA Champions League but who was the first player to score a hat-trick? Who scored a hat-trick at the youngest age and who became the oldest player to achieve this milestone? Interestingly, the football club is proud enough to have siblings who both hit trebles.
Christiano Ronaldo, another renowned name in the history of football, is the first player who scored 100 UEFA Champions League goals. However, he did fall behind when it came to hat-tricks in Europe’s premier club competition. Ronaldo has hit five hat-tricks in the UEFA Champions League while Messi backed up his score to seven by scoring two more in the UEFA Champions League this season. UEFA.com delves deep into the statistical analysis of these ball-earning performances.
Lionel Messi from Barcelona tops the list by scoring 7 hat-tricks in the UEFA Champions League. He is followed by Christiano Ronaldo of Real Madrid and Mario Gomez of Bayern, who scored 5 and 3 hat-tricks respectively. The third slot is also shared by Filippo Inghazi and Luiz Adriano who scored 3 hat-tricks each in the UEFA Champions League.
Messi’s phenomenal record of seven hat-tricks was made against the following teams:
- Arsenal , 6th April 2010
- Plzen, 1st November 2011
- Leverkusen, 7th March 2012
- Ajax, 18th September 2013
- APOEL, 25th November 2014
- Celtic, 13th September 2016
- Manchester City, 19th October 2016
Christiano Ronaldo has the most number of hat-tricks in the 2015-16 season, totaling to 3. This is followed by 2 hat-tricks of Lionel Messi in both 2011-12 season and 2016-17 season. Luiz Adriano and Mario Gomez each have scored 2 hat-tricks in the 2014-15 and 2011-12 season respectively.
Some other commendable records are worth mentioning:
- Juul Ellerman of PSV scored the first hat-trick of the UEFA Champions League in a match against Zalgiris on 16th September 1992.
- Raul Gonzalez was only 18 years old when he scored his first hat-trick thus making him the youngest football player to do so.
- Claudio Pizarro is the oldest football player to score a hat-trick in UEFA Champions League at an age of 34 years.
- The quickest hat-trick in the history of UEFA Champions League was scored by Bafetimbi Gomis who did so within a time period of 8 minutes. This feat was achieved in the year 2011.
- Filippo Inzaghi and Simone Inzaghi are the only brothers to have both scored a hat-trick.
- Brazil by far has the highest number of hat-tricks in UEFA Champions League, totaling up to 13. This is followed by Argentina with 10 hat-tricks while England, France, and Italy stand at the third position with 8 hat-tricks each.
- The 2004-05 season had the most number of hat-tricks. The same number was again achieved in the 2013-14 season.
- The club to score the highest number of hat-tricks is Barcelona (11) followed by Real Madrid (9), Bayern (7) and Manchester United (6).
- A total number of hat-tricks scored in UEFA Champions League totals to 107.
- Thomas Muller, Luis Suarez,Gabrial Batistuta, Hernan Crespo, Miroslav Klose, Patrick Kluivert, Francesco Totti, David Trezeguet, Christian Vieri and David Villa are a few players who never scored a hat-trick.
Football is definitely a game of strict determination and passion, a fact that is well-proved by the players of this century. History has witnessed matches where players scored four goals in one game of the UEFA Champions League. These are Marco van Basten, Simone Inzaghi, Dado Pršo, Ruud van Nistelrooy, Andriy Shevchenko, Lionel Messi, Bafétimbi Gomis, Mario Gómez, Robert Lewandowski, Zlatan Ibrahimović and Cristiano Ronaldo. Remaining again on the top is the name of Lionel Messi who achieved the milestone of scoring five goals against Leverkusen in 2012. This figure was matched by Luiz Adriano two years later. No player ever since has been able to break this record.